2. Why to visit Umbria? What to see?
Umbria is a great place to visit. It is a place of stunning landscapes of the mountains, sunny valleys, crystal clear mountain rivers, fascinating fairy tale villages that combine charming image of medieval atmosphere and comfort of modern life style. There are lots of places to visit for those who love nature, sport, history, culture, religion. The region is rich with cultural and historical treasures like for instance National Gallery of Perugia that offers unique collection of the pieces of art of Italian Middle Ages or Assisi the motherland of one of the most popular Christian Saints - St. Francesco d'Assisi. Umbria is a place of headquarters of such famous producers as Urbani (truffles), Monini (Olive oil), Cucinelli (cashemire), it is also important region of wine productions. You can visit museum of truffles located in nearby village and buy truffles at very good price. The city of Spoleto is in a list of world heritage of UNESCO, it is also famous as a city of festival for many cultural events, on the top of the hill with the ancient castle there is a favourite hotel of Woody Allen.
We will try to put as much as possible information on particular places in Umbria so you enjoy your vacations to the full.
3. How to reach this place (Sant’Anatolia di Narco)?
by plane: Roma/Fiumicino Airport and then by car (you can rent it of course, see our advice how to do it below);
by train: from Roma Termini to Spoleto Station: Rome/Ancona line; Rome/Perugia line.
By car: write “Sant’Anatolia di Narco” and follow your GPS (please note that it is important to put full name of the village otherwise you risk to go to another village)
• Highway A1: (direction Rome-Florence): exit at Orte, in direction of Terni, Spoleto and Foligno; after Spoleto, exit for Cascia-Norcia; at the end of the tunnel, turn on left, then the first village on the right.
• E45 (Florence, Siena and Perugia): direction Perugia, Assisi, Spoleto. Before Spoleto, exit for Cascia-Norcia; at the end of the tunnel, turn on left, then the first village on the right.
• A14: exit of Civitanova Marche and S. Benedetto del Tronto, direction Norcia-Spoleto. Before enter the tunnel for Spoleto, on the left there is Sant’Anatolia di Narco.
4. Can I stay 1 day only? What is the minimal booking?
The minimum stay is a week in Summer, and three nights in other periods of the year.
5. How do I pay for the booking?
6. How to rent a car there?
7. Which restaurants you would recommend?
The Valnerina offers many gastronomic appeals like Norcia’s black truffles, cheeses and salami, extra-vergine olive oil and Umbrian wines, like Spoleto Trebbiano’s White or Montefalco’s Sagrantino Red, produced on the sunny Umbrian hills. In Umbria many restaurants offer excellent food and wines at good prices. In Valnerina you can appreciate “Da Franchina” and “Il Sovrano” in Sant’Anatolia di Narco; “Locanda Valcasana” and “Trattoria del Ponte” in Scheggino, a little village 3 km of distance; “Locanda di Cacio Re” at Vallo di Nera, another fine village 3 km on the opposite direction. In Spoleto we can recommend “Sabatini”, on Corso Mazzini, in the historic center of the town, and “Taverna dei Duchi”, near the Cathedral. The prices can go from 20 to 50 euros per person for full meal including drinks.
8. Is there any sea shore or beach?
Umbria is a central region in Italy without access to the sea. However nearby there are a lot of open and covered swimming pools, in Scheggino (3 km, open air in Summer) and Spoleto (10 km, open and covered ones). You can find the sea shore near Rome (140 km) or on the East side of Italy, on Adriatic Sea (about 160 km) - it is about 2 hours by car.
9. What is the weather like by months? What is the average temperature?
The weather and the temperature vary in the different seasons. On April, May, June, September and October the weather is very fine with the comfortable temperature, the sun shines and the sky is blue. In Summer the temperature is warmer, but the green mountains, the woods and the mountain river make the stay very pleasant. In Winter months the temperature is colder, sometimes it snows, and at a short distance (about 40 km) you can find ski stations. The apartments are provided with good gas-heating, and they are very popular for Christmas and New Year vacations.